Support for children with special educational needs in early years settings
Any Early Year’s setting that a child attends must have arrangements in place to support children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND). These arrangements should include a clear approach to identifying and responding to SEN.
All early years settings in North Somerset will have identified an Inclusion Co-ordinator (INCCO), or in the case of maintained schools, a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO).
Where any setting identifies a child as having SEN they must work in partnership with parents to establish the support the child needs. If special provision is made for a child with SEN the parents must be informed
Useful documents for Early Years settings:-
- Bilingualism leaflet for parents (doc)
- Bilingualism: learning more than one language (pdf)
- Early Years Inclusion Support - Early Support Guidance Materials 2015 (doc)
- Early Support - assessment statements (doc)
- Supporting children learning English as an additional language (pdf)
- Speech and Language Therapy - Early years toolkit (2017) (docx)
- Inclusion support booklet – October 2016
- Inclusion support flowchart – October 2016
- Early years SEND top-up funding criteria – April 2017
- Early years SEND top-up funding application forms - April 2017
- Privacy notice declaration for early years inclusion support
Financial Support in Early Years Settings
Inclusion Link Programme
The purpose of the Inclusion Link Programme is to support children with SEND to have the best possible start to school life through a smooth, supported and effective transfer from early years setting to school by:
- Promoting positive partnership working between parents/carers, early years setting, schools and other professionals/agencies.
- Facilitating information sharing to support an effective and smooth transfer from early years setting to school.
- Sharing knowledge and expertise about the child.
Funding for the Inclusion Link Programme is allocated on a year by year basis.
- Inclusion Link Programme 2019 information for early years settings and schools
- Inclusion Link Programme 2019 information for parents and carers
- Inclusion Link Programme 2019 referral form
- Inclusion Link Programme 2019 workshop details
- Reception Intake form (for children who are not eligible for the Link Programme)