This is a service provided by North Somerset Children's Centres for families with children under 5 years of age living within North Somerset. Families may access:
- Advice clinics - these run once a term at the following Children's Centres: Ashcombe, Weston Central, Oldmixon Family Centre and The Healthy Living Centre. Clinics are open to all families in the North Somerset area.
- Chatterboxes Stay & Play - these sessions run on Thursday mornings (term time only) from 9.30 - 11am at Oldmixon Family Centre. As well as all the usual Stay & Play fun, families can now chat to a Speech & Language Therapist for tips and advice on how to support their child’s speech and language development and join in with some structured speech and language games.The group costs £1.50 per family.
The team also works with early years settings offering a range of services including:
- Practitioner training - currently we deliver training in early language development. This is a whole day training course bookable on CPD online (fees may apply).
- Practitioner workshops - for those who have already attended the above training day we offer a follow up workshop. This is an opportunity to share good practice and have a go at some practical activities.
- Bespoke training - if you have a specific training need please let us know and we can look at creating a bespoke training session for your setting.
- I CAN Good Practice Validation for Children's Centres - we are licensed by I CAN national charity to mentor your Children's Centre through this processes of national recognition.
- I CAN Early Talk Accreditation for early years settings - we are licensed by I CAN national charity to mentor your early years setting through this process of national accreditation.
Speech & language Advice Clinic Dates:
- Wednesday 11th April 9.30am – 12.00 Oldmixon Family Centre (Call 01934 426881 to book a slot)
- Wednesday 25th April 12.30 – 3pm The For All Healthy Living Centre (Call 01934 427550 to book a slot)
- Thursday 3rd May 12.30 – 3.Weston Central Children’s Centre (Call 01934 426794 to book a slot)
- Tuesday 8th May 9.30am - 12 Ashcombe Children’s Centre (Call 01934 426380 to book a slot)
- Wednesday 6th June 9.30am – 12.00 Oldmixon Family Centre (Call 01934 426881 to book a slot)
- Wednesday 27th June 12.30 – 3.00 The For All Healthy Living Centre (Call 01934 427550 to book a slot)
- Tuesday 3rd July 9.30 – 12 Ashcombe Children’s Centre (Call 01934 426380 to book a slot)
- Thursday 12th July 12.30 – 3.00 Weston Central Children’s Centre (Call 01934 426794 to book a slot)
- Alternatively you can phone the I CAN Charity national helpline service on 0207 843 2544 and speak with a Speech & Language Therapist.
*NB: Dates are planned on a termly basis. New dates for the term ahead will be available the week commencing the new school term.
What to do if you have concerns about your child's listening, understanding or talking:
Find out where and when your nearest advice clinic is and come along for a chat with a Speech & Language Therapist.
- Speak with your Health Visitor, GP, child's education setting or pop in to your local Children's Centre.
- Contact the I CAN Helpline on 020 7843 2544 to speak with a Speech & Language Therapist.
- Make a self-referral by calling the Weston Area Health Trust Paediatric Speech & Language Department direct (see link below).
- For concerns about fluency you can contact The British Stammering Association Helpline on 0845 603 2001.