Extra care housing is for people 55 years and over with housing, care and support needs. The aim of extra care housing is to offer privacy and independence in a safe, accessible environment. You have your own flat and care is provided by a professional on-site care team. The care team have a 24 hour care presence to deliver planned care and emergency response if needed.
Extra care housing is made up of wheelchair accessible flats and communal facilities. The flats have either one or two bedrooms, with a lounge, kitchen and bathroom. The communal facilities normally include a residents lounge, restaurant/dining room, laundry room, scooter store, hairdressing/beauty salon, assisted bathing facility and guest room with en-suite for visiting family and friends.
Extra Care Housing Schemes
There are currently six extra care housing schemes in North Somerset.
- Diamond Court, Diamond Batch, Worle, Weston-super-Mare, BS24 7FY
53 one and two bedroom flats for rental through North Somerset Council
- Lakeside Court, Jasmine Way, Worle, Weston-super-Mare, BS24 7JN
33 one and two bedroom flats for rental through North Somerset Council
- Sandford Station, Station Road, Sandford, BS25 5AA
109 flats including 7 one and 8 bedroom flats for rental through North Somerset Council.
- Waverly Court, Forth Avenue, Portishead, BS20 7NY
60 flats including 45 one and two bedroom flats for rental through North Somerset Council
- Tamar Court, Tamar Road, Worle, Weston-super-Mare, BS22 6BU
65 flats including 33 one and two bedroom flats for rental through North Somerset Council.
- Strawberry Gardens, Yatton - 60 two bedroom flats, including 30 flats for rental through North Somerset Council.
Applicants for extra-care housing must:
- be aged 55 or over
- be eligible to receive care from North Somerset Council
- be eligible for North Somerset council funding
- be a resident of North Somerset
- have a current application for housing with Homechoice
People with exceptional circumstances may be considered on a case by case basis.
Applying for extra-care housing
1. Contact Care Connect 01275 888 801 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for a care assessment for extra care housing
2. Complete a HomeChoice application. This can be completed on-line at: http://northsomerset.housingjigsaw.co.uk
For more information contact the Homechoice Team on 01934 426 330.
In addition to flats available to rent from North Somerset Council there are some leasehold/shared ownership properties to buy, contact the housing association directly to talk about your options. See link to buying an extra-care property below.
There are both housing and care costs to be considered when moving into extra care housing.
Housing - You will pay rent and service charges to your landlord. You will also be responsible for paying utility bills, contents insurance and meal costs when these are not provided as part of your rent.
Care - If you have capital or savings under the income threshold you will be offered a full financial assessment. This is to decide the maximum weekly contribution you will be asked to pay towards the cost of your care.
We recommend you visit the properties you are interested in before applying.