Skip to main content

Early Years Pupil Premium - guide for parents

From April 2015, children who are currently claiming the 3 and 4 year old free education entitlement could be eligible for the Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP).  The EYPP is additional funding used to improve a child's learning and development.


Will my child be eligible?

Children will be eligible if they are 3 or 4 years old and receiving Government funded free entitlement in any Ofsted registered childcare provider and parents are in receipt of one or more of these benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit

Of if the child has been:

  • looked after by the local authority for at least one day
  • have been adopted from care
  • have left care through special guardianship
  • are subject to a child arrangement order (what used to be a residence order)

What is the Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP)?

The EYPP is extra funding that your child's childcare provider can claim to improve his/her learning and development.

How do I check to see if my child is eligible for the Early Years Pupil Premium?

If you think that you meet the criteria talk to your childcare provider, they will be able to check.  You will need to provide them with the following information:

  • Yours and your partners surname
  • Both National insurance numbers
  • Date of birth for yourself and your partner
  • NASS number (National Asylum Support Service) where applicable

If you are a lone parent you only need to supply your details.

How will the Early Years Pupil Premium be paid?

The funding is paid directly to your childcare provider as part of their normal funding claim.

Who monitors how the childcare provider spends the money?

Ofsted will ask your childcare provider to evidence how the money has been spent when they inspect the setting. 

How do I check that my childcare provider can receive EYPP?

All Ofsted registered childcare providers and school nursery classes can claim EYPP if the parents/carers using the setting are eligible.

How can I find out more information?

Talk to your childcare provider or see the information on

Back to top