Skip to main content

Transition between services

The term 'transition' is used to refer to life changes that children and young people may go through, for example moving from one educational setting to another, pre-school to primary school, primary school to secondary school, etc.

Pre-school to school – age 4 or 5

All our early years settings will have identified an Inclusion Co-ordinator (INCCO), or in the case of maintained schools, a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO).

Support via the Inclusion Link Programme is available for children with SEND moving from pre-school into school to give them the best possible start to life through:

  • Parents, early years settings and school working together to plan a transfer programme that meets individual children’s needs.
  • Sharing knowledge and information
  • Ensuring a smooth and effective transfer to school

School to secondary school – age 11

If your child attends mainstream school, they will move to secondary school when they are 11 years old.  All schools in North Somerset have a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO). Their role is to support you as a parent/carer, involve you in any decisions or actions and support you and your child when the time comes to move onto secondary school.

If your child attends a special school, they will have an Educational, Health and Care plan and will follow a different process.

Your current school's SENCO will be able to support you through the transition process

The Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities have produced some helpful guides about moving from primary onto secondary education.

Transitions Protocol

Since 2004 North Somerset have put together a 'Transition Protocol' which is regularly reviewed to keep up with new legislation, policies and new learning about works best. C
If you have any questions regarding the transitions protocol contact your SEN officer or social worker.  You may want to read the 'Moving into Adulthood protocol'  which explains the process and system for how young people with high needs are identified and then allocated for an assessment of need by the adult's social care, transitions service.

Post 16 Support

At age 16: young people can make their own choices about what education and employment they have.  Young people must stay in education or training until they are 18.  Moving onto college is a big step for all young people but particularly those with SEND and can seem daunting.  All colleges will have support in place to help with this process.

At age 18: young people have the rights and the responsibilities of an adult. If a young person is eligible for adult care and support, they will be involved in planning the support that they require.

Transition is also the move into adulthood when many life changing decisions are made and when vital information is needed. As young people move from school age into adulthood they need to make lots of choices. Young people with SEN or disability may need extra help to make these choices

For all young people, moving from being a child to an adult involves lots of changes and challenges.  It’s about finding out about themselves and what is important to them and working towards being more independent.  It’s also about making new and different connections in the adult world and looking for meaningful things to do, which may include finding a job. 

Where young people have additional complex needs, (for example, young people with severe learning disabilities, significant physical or sensory impairment or severe and enduring mental health difficulties) everyone providing services must be aware of what these youngsters want to get out of life and be ambitious and creative!

North Somerset have an Adult Transistions team who support young people aged 18-25 years.  See their leaflet for more information.

Transitions from school to work

If your child decides to move into work, they might want advice and guidance. They can get specialist advice about work and disability through a Disability Employment Adviser at their local Jobcentre Plus office.  This adviser can help with assessments, work plans and advise on schemes such as Access to work and Workchoice.

The aim transition is to enable a smooth and seamless transition for young disabled people between Children’s Services and Adults Services, always putting young people at the heart of the process and aims to provide support in the transition to adulthood and independence.

Moving from home to independent living

When young people start planning for their future, they should be given information about the support available to help with housing. This includes benefits and funding available to support people with SEND to live independently, as well as personal budgets, community support, and assistive technology to support independent living, when appropriate.

Independent living does not describe a type of accommodation or mean living alone. It describes a person being in control of their living situation as much as they can be and being in an environment which promotes their health and happiness.

There are a wide range of support services and organisations available to support parents, carers and young people with housing issues, including independent living and equipment and adaptations.  Financial support is also available

Back to top