Who is this service for?
For adults with a chronic lung disease who feel limited by breathlessness. There are no age limits but there are exclusion criteria and you will need to have your own means of transport.
- Unstable cardiac conditions
- Severe cognitive deficit
- Cancer with poor prognosis
- Psychiatric disease affecting memory/behaviour/compliance
We work with our colleagues in the Home Oxygen team and provide mobile oxygen assessments as part of the programme.
What we do
Pulmonary rehabilitation is a program of exercise, education, and support to help you learn to breathe – and function – at the highest level possible.
Benefits of pulmonary rehabilitation:
- Help to improve your muscle strength, so you can use the oxygen you breathe more efficiently
- Improve your general fitness and help you to cope better with feeling out of breath
- Help you to feel to stronger and fitter, and able to do more.
What happens in a pulmonary rehabilitation course?
You’ll work with our team of specialists through a programme of exercise and information; we’ll support you to become fitter and encourage you to self-manage your condition
Before the programme starts we will find out:
- what you can and cannot do;
- how activity affects you; and
- how you are feeling and coping with your condition.
The programme runs for six weeks with two sessions a week for up to 18 people at one time. People attend for two hours; approximately one hour of exercise and one hour of advice, education and discussion.
Topics might include:
- Breathing techniques to use when recovering your breath, or during physical activity or if you feel anxious
- Why exercise is so important for people with lung conditions
- How to manage stress
- Healthy eating
- How to use your inhalers and other medicines
- What to do when you are unwell
Potential participants will receive a comprehensive assessment before being accepted onto the programme as well as a pre-discharge review.
How do I access this service?
Please speak to you GP or Practice Nurse to be referred to this service.