We are a team of Speech and Language Therapists covering North Somerset, based at Drove Road Child Development Centre (CDC) in Weston-super-Mare. We also work from The Barn in Clevedon
The aim of the service is to provide an assessment, diagnostic, treatment and advisory service to children with speech, language and communication difficulties, helping them to make the most of their communication potential. There is also a service to children with eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties.
On offer is a wide range of services appropriate to the needs of the individuals referred, including:
Individual assessment, personal treatment programme, treatment programmes to be carried out by support workers eg assistants in schools, group therapy sessions for children and families/carers, intensive therapy sessions, advice, support and training to other professionals and carers
The Children's Team receives approximately 400 new referrals a year and make over six thousand follow-up appointments.
Please click here to view referral criteria for Children's Speech and Language Therapy.
The Children's Speech and Language Therapy Service
The Children's team aims to identify children with communication problems as early as possible. The potential long term difficulties and effects on social, emotional and educational development can be minimised by working with parents, carers, children and others.
Children are individually assessed and the levels of service provided will depend on the following factors:
- Severity of the problem and its impact on the child
- Level of carer support
- Potential value of different types of therapy; for example, the child's attention or cognitive abilities may not be sufficiently mature to benefit from some types of therapy
- The amount of available speech and language resources
The client groups for the service include children with language delays and disorders, speech sound problems, voice disorders, children who stammer, children with eating & drinking difficulties.
There are a number of different ways to provide Therapy:
- parent sessions to help them develop their own child's communication skills
- language or speech groups
- individual programmes for clinic, home, early years or education settings
- therapy directly from a Speech and Language Therapist or a trained speech and language assistant or teaching assistant, following a programme set by the therapist
The team also offers training to education and other health professionals about how to support children with communication difficulties and ways to encourage good communication environments.
Children's Speech and Language Therapy works closely with North Somerset Local Education Authority, Children's Centres, Springboard Opportunity pre-school, Children's Services professionals within the Health Service, and many others.
For more information about the Children's Speech and Language Therapy Services please contact us.