FoodCycle is a UK charity (no. 1134423) that combines surplus food, spare kitchen spaces and volunteers to create three-course meals for people at risk of food poverty and social isolation.
WE BUILD COMMUNITIES
Communities are built around FoodCycle meals: guests and volunteers meet new people and make friends, eat with those from different walks of life and share conversations with one another.
- 87% of our guests said FoodCycle has a positive effect on their local area
- Over 80% of guests say they have made friends and feel more a part of their community
- Over 85% of volunteers have developed a better understanding of other cultures and backgrounds
WE REDUCE FOOD POVERTY
Our projects are based in some of the most deprived communities in the UK and support people living with hunger and poverty.
- Each week, we serve over 1,500 guests a week and also give away tupperware boxes for guests to take home
- Since launch in 2009 we have rescued over 425,000 kg of surplus food, the equivalent of over 1 million meals
- Guests were given over 8,000 takehome boxes of food last year to support them during the week
WE ARE A PLACE FOR OUR GUESTS TO MAKE FRIENDS
A lack of social contact with other people can have a huge effect on an individual’s mental and physical health.
- Over half of our guests live alone and 72% feel lonely
- Over half of guests say their social connections are better since coming to a FoodCycle meal
- Over 70% of our guests come to a meal at least once a fortnight and many attend once or twice a week
Join us each week for our tasty community meal using food that would otherwise go to waste. We offer these meals, hot drinks and friendly conversation for free, to all who turn up.
FoodCycle Weston can only happen if great volunteers give their time, enthusiasm and energy. We’re currently looking for some brilliant people to lead this project, and to help make FoodCycle Weston a success.
You don’t need to have any previous cooking experience, although if you do that is just as welcome! We want as many local volunteers as possible and everyone is welcome to be a part of the team.