Who is this service for?
Adults over the age of 16 years who are having complex problems with their diabetes and require specialist nurse input. A nurse will assess the issues and develop a care plan.
What we do
Diabetes is a lifelong condition that causes a person’s blood sugar level to become too high.We provide support, education and specialist advice for adults (over 16 years old) with complex diabetes needs and their carers. This can be delivered in a group setting or on a one to one basis.
- Insulin management
- Type 2 diabetes management
- anaging diabetes during potentially difficult times such as illness and travelling
- Caring for people with special needs and diabete
- Living with diabetes.
We work with the North Somerset diabetes network, voluntary groups and other diabetes specialists to improve services and raise awareness. We also provide specialist skills and advice to:
- Practice Nurses and GPs
- Community Nurses and Matrons
- Care and nursing home staff
- Pharmacists, Dietitians, Podiatrists and all allied health professionals
- Clinical supervision and support on a one-to-one basis for Diabetes Practice Nurses.
Local Support Groups
- Weston-Super-Mare Diabetes UK: Telephone support is available from a diabetes specialist nurse or Diabetes UK member. Diabetes UK awareness events in the Weston area are advertised locally and advice and information can be obtained at these events. For further information please contact Ann Barrett on 01934 822 679 or Christine Staff on 01934 811 629.
- Nailsea, Backwell and District: For further information call 01275 268 810.
- Portishead: For further information call 01275 841 630 (Diabetes Practice Nurse).
Peer Advisors in Diabetes
Peer advisors are volunteers with diabetes who have undergone training to help others and can offer advice, reassurance and support. For further information call 07586 320 855.
How do I access this service?
To access this service you need to be referred by a healthcare professional or GP.
Cancelled / missed appointments
If you cannot make your appointment, we require a minimum of 24 hours’ notice to reschedule your appointment. Please contact us on 01275 885 166. You may be discharged if you miss any appointments without letting us know, or if you cancel appointments more than once.
A discharge letter will be sent to your GP who can re-refer you if they feel this is appropriate.